Welcome to the 50th Anniversary of WKDU!
July 17th, 2021 will mark the 50th anniversary of Drexel University’s free format, non-commercial radio WKDU Philadelphia 91.7 FM. On that day, WKDU began broadcasting at just 10 watts on the FM dial from high atop Van Rensselaer Hall. Throughout its existence, the student-operated radio station has remained a prominent source of diverse programming that seeks to provide a platform to artists and community members that would otherwise be left unheard. Now we broadcast at 800 watts!
The station’s longevity and the continued growth of our community has ultimately depended on the knowledge and experience passed down from one generation of students to the next. For decades, WKDU student staff members have drawn from the experience of their predecessors while incorporating their own visionary take on college radio. To celebrate this landmark milestone of the experience that WKDU has provided us all, we will honor current and past WKDU DJs for our 50th birthday celebration and raise funds for a significant technological infrastructure upgrade that will ensure 50 more years of the WKDU experience.
- Saturday, July 10th: Fundraiser kick-off!
- Sunday, July 11th: The Black Experience in Music (all day programming)
- Monday, July 12th: Zine Reissue Release!
- Tuesday, July 13th: Compilation Album Release!
- Wednesday, July 14th: Merch Release!
- Thursday, July 15th through Saturday, July 17th: On-Air Alumni Marathon
- Saturday, July 17th (our actual birthday!): Outdoor Bash @ Drexel Park from 2-8PM
- We'll have archival displays of old posters and flyers, blasting WKDU on the speakers, a meet & greet with plenty of past and present WKDU DJs, and more! Open to all past/present WKDU members AND listeners!